The New Chicago Fire Department was established in 1952. The department has grown to 13 active members including the fire chief, deputy chief, 1st assistant chief, and captain. The County Station # for New Chicago Fire Department is Station 6900. All county departments except for two are on the Lake County 911 dispatch system.
We have 3 vehicles for our department. Our fire engine, 6911, has a 1000-gallon tank and can pump 1250GPM. Our tender, 6941, has an 1800-gallon tank and can pump 750GPM. We also have one Fire Rescue truck, 6931.
We average between 300 to 400 emergency calls per year and are active in all community related events.
The requirements to becoming a fire fighter are:
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- Valid Indiana Driver’s License
- Must be able to attend the 6-month Fire Academy & obtain the state mandatory certification
- Must also be able to obtain the Fire Fighters 1 & 2 certification
- You must be of moral character
- Must be able to pass a background check
- Must be negative on a drug and alcohol test
Once you have met all these requirements, you will be able to be put on the active roster. We are a proud organization and proud member of the community.
For any questions regarding our fire department, you can reach Fire Chief Joe Eakins at 219-962-1311 or 219-962-1157.
For emergencies, please call 911!