The New Chi Parks & Rec Department in conjunction with the Lake Station-New Chicago Public Library is presenting a free reading of The Beauty & The Beast. For more details, please click here.
Town of New Chicago Residents,
We understand the importance of communicating with you and ensuring that we keep you in the loop regarding events affecting the Town of New Chicago. As a result, we are pleased to announce that we are initiating a new notification service called REACH Alert.
This new service will allow us to immediately share important information regarding a number of items, including waterline breaks/boil water advisories, power outages, road closures/delays due to construction or accidents, hazmat situations, AMBER/Silver alerts, police actions, and civic events.
As good as this service is, if you don’t register, we can’t share important information with you in a quick and timely manner. You can decide if you want a text, voice call, or an email. Each household can register up to 4 phone numbers and 4 email addresses. All you need to do is:
- Go to www.reachalert.com and click on Sign Up in the upper right-hand corner.
- In the Network Name field, type New Chicago (click on our name when it appears).
- Follow the prompts and enter your preferred contact information. When you enter your address, click on it when it appears in the drop-down list.
If you opted to receive text alerts and/or emails, Reach Alert will send a confirmation message to your cell phone or email immediately upon completion of your registration. If you do not receive this message, please call Reach Alert.
If you do not have access to a computer or if you experience any difficulty registering, please contact REACH Alert at (877) 307-9313.
Town of New Chicago
Please call New Chicago Town Hall if you have any questions regarding this post:
There will be another water shut off this Friday, September 30th at 3pm and will hopefully be turned back on no later than Saturday, October 1st at 7am. This is an estimated timeframe and could go longer or shorter. The contractor is hopeful that it will be much shorter than anticipated.
The affected areas are all residents from:
Tyler St from Kosciuszko St to Grand/Lake Park
Van Buren Ave from Kosciuszko St to Grand/Lake Park
Grand Blvd/North Lake Park Ave from Van Buren Ave to Ridge Rd
All of Viking Village Sub-Division
Twin Oaks Park
After the water service is restored, a 3 day boil advisory for this area will be in effect.
You can reach the New Chicago Town Hall at 219-962-1157 with questions.
Please contact the town hall if you have any questions about this.
TOWN OF NEW CHICAGO
122 Huber Blvd
Hobart, IN 46342
Phone: (219) 962-1157 Fax: (219) 962-5386
On September 23, 2022 and September 24, 2022 from 10:00 pm until 7:00 am, water will be shut off for the following areas:
North Lake Park
Laporte St 33rd Ave
North Hobart Road
US 51 to Randolph
This is for the New Chicago Water Works Nob Hill and North Lake Park Ave water construction project. We are also issuing a boil water advisory from September 24, 2022 through September 28, 2022. We appreciate your patience and cooperation as we make these improvements.
Rummage in the Park is back on September 10th, 2022! Be sure to stop by to shop some of our local vendors and find treasures that you’ve been looking for at reasonable prices!
- New Chicago Public Space Mural
- We are hosting art days at the park where the public can come take part in helping with the creation of the mural on the buildings.
- Click the link above to get more details! We will also update painting schedule on the calendar here, highlighted in pink.
- Shakespeare in the Park
- The Gary Shakespeare Company will be presenting “Julius Caesar” by William Shakespeare.
- This is a free show for all to come see! No admission fee is being charged by the Gary Shakespeare Company, New Chicago Parks, or Town of New Chicago.
- The snack shack will be open for snacks and drinks before and during the show.
- Click the link above for more details!
- Rummage in the Park – September
- Tentatively, we are looking at September 10th to hold the next Rumage in the Park event. September 11th will be the rain day.
- The event will run from 9am to 3pm with vendors able to start setting up at 7am.
- Same fees as the June Rummage in the Park event for rental spaces.
- Also adding a few additional spaces to the event.
- Check back for more updates and a link to the new event!
Are you behind on your rent and/or utility bills? You could be eligible for up to 18 months of rent and utility assistance.
Indiana Emergency Rental Assistance (IERA)
Applications are now being accepted for the Indiana Emergency Rental Assistance (IERA) program. IERA helps renter households with rent and utility assistance. This includes help with paying your:
- Rent: up to 18 months of current and past-due rent
- Home energy expenses: fuel oil, wood, coal, pellets and propane
- Past-due utilities: electric, gas, water, sewer
Up to 18 months of rent and utility and/or home energy assistance may be provided. This includes past-due balances and late fees accrued after April 1, 2020.
IERA is designed to increase housing stability and decrease evictions.
Informational documents in English and Spanish are located at in.gov/ihcda/homeowners-and-renters/rental-assistance. You can apply online at the top banner of IndianaHousingNow.org. If renters are unable to access the technology necessary, a 211 representative will help complete their application over the phone.
Renters living in Hamilton and St. Joseph counties, along with the City of Fort Wayne, should apply to their respective programs unless an eviction case has been filed, in which case renters may apply to IERA for the Pilot Eviction Diversion Program. Information about these programs can be found below:
Hamilton County: hctaindiana.com
Marion County: indyrent.org
City of Fort Wayne: fwcommunitydevelopment.org/housing/renter-assistance
If you or someone you know needs rent/utility assistance, please consider sharing this information.